It’s that time of year again… New Years Resolution time! Last year I must’ve been super pumped for 2017 because I set 52 goals for 2017. And after recently reflecting on my achievements (or lack thereof), I thought it might be a better idea to consolidate that number right back down and set some meaningful goals.
2018 I’m coming for you!
- Explore a new state. I’m thinking South Australia, Tasmania or Northern Territory. After such a great year of discovering different parts of Australia, I’ve fallen in love with the idea of exploring your own backyard. Australia is so diverse and freakin huge and I want to see as much of it as possible.
- City2Surf. You’ve heard it here first… I’m going to sign up for the City2Surf again! But this time, I want to actually train for it! Dicko – get your shoes ready…. it’s race time!
- Graduate with 1st Class Honours. Ah OK that’s a big, scary one. But you have to put these big and scary goals out in to the universe and truly believe you can do it. Honours (I’m sure) will be hectic, but I would absolutely love to make it to the end with 1st class. If I don’t, I’m sure I will have still worked hard and tried my best. But let’s dream big, and work hard for a 1st! (eek).
- YOGA. This was on my list for 2017 and I really didn’t do it anywhere near as much as I would have liked. Yoga always leaves me feeling recharged, re-centred, healthy and flexible so I just have to bring it into 2018 more. Under this goal also comes: healthy eating, meditation, taking time for myself and all that other basic yet important stuff!
- Try something new. When was the last time you did something for the first time? I’m thinking along the lines of a dance class, sailing… something a bit random and different to push myself out of my comfort zone.
- Discover a new country. Again, putting it out there, I don’t know how, when, with who, why but travel and adventure is so important to me and at the end of next year I want to be able to say I’ve been to another country. The real question is which one?
- Save some adult money. So I’m not going to say how much but I want to have some actual proper money behind me for all of those adult things that are sure to come my way sooner or later. Of course I want money to travel and see and do all of these wonderful things but I think it’s time for some serious saving!!
- Show gratitude. I wouldn’t be where I am today without the people around me. My friends, family, colleagues, soul mate friends and boyfriend… are all so supportive and encouraging of me. Your support network, your squad, your gang, they’re the people who make and shape you and I can never express how grateful I am for these people. Whether it’s a note, a coffee date, a conversation, a check in, a movie date… it’s always important to say thank you to those people who are there to support you.
- Write write write. When I look back at my blog and diary, I’m so proud that I’ve written so much. Whether it’s advice, thoughts, opinions or ‘my favourite things’ (thanks Chantelle for keeping me on my toes with that one), I love expressing myself through writing. Along with my blog (of course) and Twenty Something Humans, I want to also submit my work elsewhere… a magazine, a site, a newspaper, a blog… Getting my work published is an absolute dream. But dreams don’t get handed to you, you gotta work for them.
- Spend less time on my phone. OK I know this is a pretty common goal, but I think it’s a pretty necessary one. Over the past few months I’ve felt glued to my phone, anxious when I don’t know where it is, when I don’t have reception or not checking my emails. And it’s absolutely draining. Sure, phones are extremely handy and I couldn’t live without it, but I should be able to live a few hours or even a few days without it.
- Twerk it. So maybe not actually twerk, but I definitely wanna get the heart pumping, sweat dripping and booty twerking. Whether it’s riding my bike, going for a run (haha what?), playing netball, going swimming… being fit and healthy is so important for your body and mind. Plus it’ll keep the booty in fine shape hehe.
- Podcast, video and content creation. If you’ve been following my blog for the past few months, you would know that I have been creating content for Twenty Something Humans. It’s an amazing website dedicated to us millennials. Writing for them has been amazing because it’s something I really believe in, relate to and find comes naturally (Kate – you’re absolutely killing it!). A few months ago I mentioned maybe making a video for them but I never got around to it. So this year I would love to get more involved and more creative with not only Twenty Something Humans, but also my blog!
- Attend a conference. To be honest, I have no idea what conference, where, when, how, but I feel like attending a big event where I can learn, network and be inspired would be super cool. Why not?!
- Volunteer and get involved. Volunteering and being involved in the local community is one of the things that keeps me going, fills my heart and makes me feel like I’m doing something meaningful. I often find that I learn more than I teach and grow more than I thought imaginable. It makes me feel a part of something bigger than my own little world and it feels amazing.
- Meet new people. I’m pretty proud to say that I am completely a people person. I love meeting new people, hearing about their lives, their stories and experiences. I feel that it’s very important to always keep on your toes and meet new people to challenge yourself and also make new friends. This means saying yes to events and putting myself out there to meet these people and expand that friendship group.
- Read read read. The past few months I’ve been smashing out the books and there is absolutely no better feeling than finishing a good book. I want to read fiction, non-fiction, about history, people, nature and science. So if you have any recommendations, throw them this way.
- Believe in myself as much as I believe in others. I generally think of myself as the best co-pilot around. I don’t really enjoy being the pilot, the one taking control and charging ahead. I prefer to be the co-pilot, the supportive, ready to go person who believes in the pilot’s ability to do the job. Whilst I don’t think this characteristic is going to change, I think it’s time I start believing in myself as much as I believe in others, and as much as others believe in me “She believed she could, so she did.” Part 1 is believe, part 2 is do.
- Be fierce. Yes this was a goal from last year, but it worked out pretty damn well. So 2018, I will be fierce again. I will be stronger, braver, kinder, unstoppable and unapologetically myself. Being fierce gives me strength, keeps me humble and keeps me motivated. Maybe if I’m fierce this year and next, and maybe the one after that, I will live a strongly fierce life with kindness, love and passion – all I could ever ask for.
What are your New Years resolutions? Let me know! I hope 2018 is wonderful and filled with love, peace and a lot of booty shaking!
5 thoughts on “18 Things I Want To Achieve in 2018”
I love the be fierce one!
Thank you! It’s a great motto to live by x
🖐🏻 thanks girl! Great list of goals there!
Thankyou!!! Hope your 2018 is wonderful