Last week I celebrated my 23rd birthday in Mexico City – meaning tequila, tacos and some serious reflection. And this has got me thinking about all of the things I’ve learnt, and still have left to learn about love, life and how much beer I can actually drink. In the famous words of Blink 182 – “nobody likes you when you’re 23, my friends say I should act my age, what’s my age again?”
- You’re a Queen – girl you’re killing it, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
- Respect & Honesty – it’s what you should receive, but most importantly give to everyone.
- You won’t learn your limits – with each hangover I ask ‘when?! when will I learn?!’ The answer is yet to be determined.
- You will make the same mistakes twice – You’ll fuck up and fuck up again. Forgive yourself, learn and know that everyone fucks up and life goes on.
- Trust yourself – Trust your gut instinct and follow it. It somehow always knows what’s right for you.
- Friday nights in are just as good as – if not better than going out. Enough said.
- Travel is the best investment I’ve made – OK I may not have any other investments at the moment, but from all the travel I’ve done, it’s the thing that helps me grow, learn and understand this crazy world a little better.
- Adulting is a misconception and no one actually know how to do it. Not even your parents.
- Life is bumpy – Not everything goes according to plan. The route is a bit bumpier for some more than others. Just know that you’ll get through it.
- Taking time for yourself is not selfish, it’s essential.
- Be excited about everything you do – have a positive attitude and get excited by life.
- I have to change the world before I settle down – I know that there’s so many things that I want to do and achieve before I settle down. And I’m not going to let anyone stand in the way of that. Watch out guys, I’ve got a world to change.
- The thought of having children is still the most terrifying thought imaginable. Sorry Mum.
- Trying new things is important – push your comfort zone, learn something new, make a fool of yourself and challenge yourself.
- Surround yourself with people who positively contribute to your life – Don’t let negative people pull you down or cast a shadow on your light. Surround yourself with people who push you, help you, are there for you and believe in you.
- Have mentors and people who inspire you.
- Be thankful and show it – Life is nothing but chance and luck. Some are much luckier than others. Be appreciative of what you have and acknowledge what others don’t have. Do something about it and show your gratitude.
- Family is actually so important – I’m so lucky that my family are so supportive of my decisions and accept me for who I am. I wouldn’t be half the person I am today without them.
- Acknowledge your privilege
- Give back to the community – commit to something, make connections, make a difference, offer your skills and experience and be apart of something bigger than yourself.
- Education is one of the most powerful weapons you can arm yourself with
- Happiness is the key – a smile can change your day
- Be proud – hold your head high, back yourself, be proud of your accomplishments, your ambitions, your hobbies, your passions and don’t let anyone ever try and take that away from you.
At the end of the day, turning 23 isn’t a big deal. But the things I’ve learnt along the way have shaped my very core. The people I’ve met, the places I’ve visited, the things I’ve learnt, the opportunities I’ve experienced, have challenged, inspired and motivated me to be the very best person I can be. And it’s my goal in life to spread happiness, encourage acceptance, make a difference and be a fucking queen!
One thought on “23 Things I’ve Learnt In 23 Years”