After my amazing girls long weekend away to the amazing city of Melbourne, I’ve come up with my ultimate to do list in this spectacular city.
1. Brighton Beach Huts. Only a 15 minute train ride from Flinders Street Station, is Brighton Beach. From the station, you can make the quick walk to the beach where you’ll get exquisite views of the Melbourne city skyline and get to see the quaint, beautiful and bright beach huts. And once you take your photos, you can venture up to the main street of Brighton and enjoy some shopping and beautiful cafes.
2. Chapel Street. Get the train to either Windsor or Prahan and just wander that street my friends. Perfect for day and night. Great little boutiques, funky bars, unique restaurants and a cool vibe that resonates with King Street in Newtown, Sydney. (Note: the bar tenders at Taco Bill are really attractive).
3. The Lion King. If you’re a sucker for musical theatre like I am, and if you great up singing Hakuna Matata, you’re in for a dream come true kind of night. When we went, a little boy was bouncing up and down and cackling to himself in his seat and it just made me even more happy and excited.
4. Cookie. I don’t really know how to describe this hidden tower of bars and restaurants but it’s awesome! Located on Swanston Street, from the outside you wouldn’t even look twice at the entrance. But up every flight of stairs, there’s a different bar, club or restaurant. The best is saved til last… the ROOFTOP BAR! We drank a jug of sangria whilst listening to some awesome music and looking out over the dazzling city.
5. Degrave Street. Located off of Flinders Lane is the incredible little street stuffed with amazing cafes! One part of the street feels like you’re in Paris, other half on the other side of Flinders Lane feels like you’ve just stepped into Japan. It’s so diverse, with little boutiques and bars, we felt so lucky we didn’t have to travel far to get some amazing food and shopping done.
6. The Great Ocean Road. You can read about our adventure on this spectacular piece of coastline here. If the picture below doesn’t convince you, I don’t know what will.
7. Take a tram ride. The CBD of Melbourne is lined with trams. And the best part is that they’re free! It’s a fun, easy, quick and free way to get around to all of the hot spots that Melbourne has to show off.
8. The National Gallery of Victoria. A big and beautiful gallery located just off of Federation Square, is a great way to see some beautiful Australian art and also spend a rainy cold winters day.
9. The Yarra River. Stroll along the river and soak up some sunshine (well, maybe if you go in Summer). It’s a gorgeous river dotted with cafes and a great bicycle track. Around Melbourne there’s also bikes you can hire for a few hours (similar to Barclays bikes in London), so you can ride along the river and get a different perspective of the city.
10. Hosier Lane. Another hidden gem of an alleyway that is completely covered in street art! It’s funky and fresh and makes for some absolutely amazing photos! Oh, and there’s some Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc artwork aswell. What’s not to love?
11. And if nothing else… just wander around the streets. You’ll never know what cool bar or amazing coffee you’ll stumble across.
Anything I’ve missed? Where would you want to go if you visited Melbourne? Let me know in the comments below!
9 thoughts on “11 Things To Do in Melbourne”
You pretty much nailed it.
Thanks! I know there’s stil so many undiscovered streets, but for now, I’m very satisfied.
Yep, gotta say my home town is pretty amazing! Did you have a good time?!
Haha you’re so lucky to live there! I sure did! Can’t wait to go back!